Sunday, November 06, 2005

I didn't see any Mexicans in Philadelphia

I went to Philly this weekend for a dental school interview at Temple University. Temple is pretty much the exact opposite of UPS. It's huge, it's in a big city, it's in the hood (if you thought Tacoma or East Palo Alto were ghetto, think again), it's got a good sports team, and it's poor as dirt. Philly is like Tacoma x 20 or San Francisco x 3, it's awesome but really intimidating at the same time. Temple might even be everything that I want in a school and can't get in here at UPS.

During this visit, my very first independent traveling adventure (it only lasted 48 hours), I learned learned a bunch of different things.
-Don't lose your wallet an hour before leaving for the airport
-Don't rely on public transportation, they occasionally go on strike when you need them the most
-Shuttle drivers can decide that they just don't fell like picking you up without telling you?
-Taxi drivers are the best drivers in the world at getting you to your destination fast
-A black man or woman's held a job in Philadelphia that on the west coast would otherwise be heald by a migrant worker or an non-college educated white man or woman
-I'm one of the few people applying to dental school that is still in college, not married, w/out kids, and not working, and that can't rent a car.
-I'm glad that I don't have to tell interviewers that my most interesting hobbies include sunbathing, going to the mall, and picking up art for the fifth time
-On the east coast, "Washington" means D.C. and not the state
-Airplane toilets can actually fill up all the way less than half way through a flight
-Philly Cheese Steaks taste better in Philadelphia

I don't know what the purpose of my next trip to Philadelphia will be. Right now it doesn't depend on me but in a couple of months it could. My next visit could be for a couple of days or a couple of years.

Oh, and I meant to blog about our house a couple of days ago but didn't have a chance to. Last week, in the span of 4 days, my housemate Seth managed break down two doors in our house. One by punching it and another with his foot at 4:30 in the morning, preceded by 20 minutes of loud yelling right outside my room.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home