Saturday, September 24, 2005

Crunking

This is a new term that I just learned today. I spent tonight working at a 16-18 hip hop dance club in downtown Tacoma. It was actually really a lot of fun. Me and my friend Alena worked at the info table for an hour, the snack bar for another, and then we hung out on the dance floor and watched crunking for another hour. Though this experience I learned a lot about hip hop culture which I wasn't already aware of. Here are some of the things that I learned and some of the observations that I made.

-Crunking is a form of dance where competitors face off by freestyle dancing against each other. It's pretty much what they do in the show "Dance 360." And watching it live is sweet.
-I'd have to go clothes shopping if I ever really want to get into a hip hop club as a customer.
-Before tonight I had never seen so many Tupac tribute shirts in one place. (I want one now)
-It is not cool if your mom and her friends follow you to a club meant for high schoolers. And even worse when they bring your 10 year old sister and she can dance better than you.
-Mike Jones is the best ever.
-Some people just like dancing in front of a mirror, even at a club.
-Having an official staff sign hanging from your neck in a club is a big ego booster. You can go in and out the door no problem. And the bouncers give you mad respect.
-I need to gain 100 pounds in order to be a bouncer or get street credit. (or be Samoan)
-White people can't crunk (or dance)
-In the three hours tonight, I lost more hearing than at any concert I've ever been to.
-The four corners of Hip Hop are: Dance, Graffiti, the DJ, and the MC.

Now all I gotta do is go shopping and learn to crunk and break dance so that I can go clubbing in Tacoma.

2 Comments:

Blogger william said...

I could almost windmill over the summer and I can do a handstand pushup now... maybe i could be a crunker.

8:30 PM, September 24, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Charles, you have way too much fun! Why don't you ever call me up for your cool adventures? I'm bored of schoool already!

9:23 PM, September 25, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home